Thank you for taking time to read our privacy statement. The Marinduque State College respects your rights to privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information, and we aim to comply with all the requirements of all relevant privacy and protection laws, particularly in accordance with Republic Act 10173, otherwise known as the Data Privacy Act of 2012.
This notice explains the purpose and legal basis for the processing of personal and sensitive personal information that MSC collects from students like you, the measures in place to protect your data privacy and the rights that you, as data subject, may exercise in relation to such information.
Under the DPA, personal information may be processed (e.g. collected, used, stored, disclosed, etc.) with the consent of the data subject, pursuant to a contract with the data subject; when it is necessary in order for MSC to comply with a legal obligation; to protect your vitally important interests including life and health; respond to a national emergency, public order, and safety; fulfill the functions of public authority or pursuant to the legitimate interests of the College or a third party; except where such interests are overridden by your fundamental rights.
Sensitive personal information (e.g. confidential educational records, age/birthdate, civil status, health, religious affiliation etc.) on the other hand may be processed with the consent of the data subject, when such is allowed by laws and regulations, such regulatory enactments provide for the protection of such information, and the consent of the data subject is not required for such law or regulation. For example, under the Education Act of 1982, parents have the right to access the educational records of children who are under their parental responsibility. Processing may also be done when needed to protect the life and health of the data subject or another person, and the data subject is unable to legally or physically express consent; in the case of medical treatment; or needed for the protection of lawful rights and interests of natural or legal persons in court proceedings; and for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; or where provided to government or public authority.
This Privacy Notice applies to personal and sensitive information collected by the Marinduque State College to students.
PURPOSE OF COLLECTION
Processing of your personal information is necessary for compliance with our legal obligation as a publicly funded institution and to uphold our legitimate interest as a higher educational institution. For instance, information collected is used for the application of the College to Free Higher Education (FHE) and Tertiary Education Subsidy (TES). FHE and TES are two of the four programs of RA 10931 otherwise known as the Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act of 2017.
WHAT MSC COLLECTS
The MSC collects personal and sensitive information in variety of sources and forms that may consist of hard and digital/electronic records and includes as enumerated below.
When you provide MSC with the personal and sensitive personal information of third parties you warrant that you have obtained their consent for us to process their information.
- Upon application for admissions and enrolment.
- a. Student Personal Information such as
- last, first and middle name
- birthplace, birthdate
- civil status (if married, name of spouse)
- learner’s reference number
- email address
- permanent address
- postal code number
- mobile phone number
- b. Family Information such as
- father’s name, his age, contact number, occupation, employer (if employed), monthly income and highest educational attainment
- mother’s maiden name and her age, contact number, occupation, employer (if employed), monthly income and highest educational attainment
- household per capita income
- number of siblings, sibling position
- guardian (if not living with parents), relationship to the guardian
- address and contact number of guardian
- scholarship sponsor
- c. Academic Information such as
- name of Pre-school, elementary, high school (JHS and SHS), school address and year graduated including graduate school (masteral) and course, if applicable and honor/awards received.
- a. Student Personal Information such as
- During the duration of your stay with us as student. Your scholastic records, class attendance, medical information upon consultation to our Health Services Unit, psychological assessment done by Guidance and Counselling Office, incidents that have disciplinary sanctions (e.g. violation of the College rules and regulations), pictures and videos of activities you have participated as official documentation and closed-circuit television (CCTV) recordings in the College premises.
- After your stay with us as a student (e.g. graduation, withdrawal, dropping of subjects, dismissed from the rolls).Personal information collected in our application for academic forms such as name, degree program, date of graduation, permanent address, email address, landline phone number, mobile number and period enrolled.
- Every time you browse our website, we automatically record technical information about your visit. This includes the following:
- IP address
- date and time of connection
- browser type and version
- browser plug-in types and versions
- operating system
- pages viewed/searched for
- time zone setting
In most instances, the said technical information cannot be readily used to determine your identity.
HOW MSC USES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
To the extent permitted or required by law, we use your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests as a higher educational institution for academic, research, administrative, historical, and statistical purposes. This includes, but not limited to the following:
- Upon application for admissions and enrolment – we use the information to process the student’s application for admission/ enrolment and to determine the eligibility of the students. Your name, email address and/or contact numbers are used to register you an account in the MSC’s Online Admission System to inform you regarding the schedule of exam/interview and the status of your application. And once qualified and enrolled, your name, student ID, email, admission and registration data are used by the MSC’s Online Student Portal so you can evaluate/rate your faculty on their teaching effectiveness and view your grades online.
- During the duration of your stay with us as student – we use your personal information to monitor your progress for academic purposes and provide the services you need. And in order to maintain excellence in instruction and services, program offerings and processes are subjected to accreditation and evaluation of which your personal data may reflect in supporting documents like awards and recognition, list of scholars, personal profile and health records, certificate of registration to name a few.
- After your stay with us as a student – we use your personal information to validate your identity and ensure that appropriate records will be provided based on your application for academic records. Disciplinary actions are kept as well and are used for any request referable to good moral character certification.
- The technical information is used primarily to help our technical team to keep our website safe and secure. In connection to this, it may also be used for tracking website errors/ bugs, for investigations pertaining to security or data breach, and lastly, for statistics/ analytics of our website interaction and record the number of visitors. If we need to use the technical information mentioned above, including your personal data for purposes not compatible with those listed above, we will inform you prior to such use and, where required by law, obtain your consent.
SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
MSC will not share your information, except:
- As permitted or required by laws, rules or regulations;
- As necessary to protect the interests of the College;
- With service providers acting on our behalf who have agreed to protect the confidentiality of the data; or
- In special circumstances where you may have given your specific consent.
In any case, that we share your data:
- First, we categorize the request data whether it includes personal or sensitive information.
- Then a letter of request must also be filed/submitted to or/and notarized non-disclosure warranty must also be provided by the requesting party.
- In case of request by a third party, authorization letter from the owner of the data including ID of the owner and representative/proxy is also requested for submission.
Data/information in the filled-up admission form will be retained in the student jacket/envelope and/or system’s database during the course duration and five or more years after graduation.
EXTERNAL DATA STORAGE SITES
We may store your data on servers provided by third party hosting vendors with whom we have contracted.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
The Marinduque State College is committed to ensuring the security of personal information. We implement reasonable and appropriate physical, technical, and organizational measures for the protection of personal data. Our security measures aim to maintain the availability, integrity and confidentiality of personal information and protect them against natural dangers such as accidental loss or destruction, and human dangers such as unauthorized access, fraudulent misuse, unlawful destruction, alteration and contamination.
YOUR PRIVACY RESPONSIBILITIES
To help protect your privacy, be sure
- not to share your user ID and password with anyone else
- to log off the College database application systems (online admission, faculty teaching effectiveness evaluation, grades viewer) when you are finished
- to take customary precautions to guard against “malware” (viruses, Trojan horses, bots, etc.), for example by installing and updating suitable anti-virus software
Please visit the National Privacy Commission website for further information about these rights.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
The MSC’s website contains links to other websites, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices of these other sites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that they have their own privacy policies, and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Kindly check the privacy policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
The Data Protection Officer
Information and Communications Technology Services Center
Marinduque State College
P. Manguera, Sr. Road, Tanza, Boac, Marinduque, 4900
Telephone Number: (042) 332-0662/332-0638/754-0052 local 127
CHANGES TO STATEMENT
Any changes we may render to our privacy notice in the future will be posted on the official website of MSC (mscmarinduque.edu.ph).